Benefits of the LA Highway 1 Improvement Project:
- Support the growing economic potential of the area produced by increased offshore drilling operations resulting from new technology, incoming LNG plant at Port Fourchon, development of major shipyard facility at Fourchon Island, and corridor tourism growth from new and upcoming facilities at Elmer’s Island, Port Fourchon and Grand Isle.
- Alleviate roadway inundation and weather-related access restrictions.
- Completion of a portion of an important principal artery in the National Highway System and ISTEA High Priority Corridor.
- Facilitate hurricane evacuation and improve emergency response times for Port Fourchon and Grand Isle.
- Improve traffic safety through enhanced roadway design standards.
- Improve oil and hazardous materials spill response.
- Improve the intermodal connectivity of existing highway, air, and water transportation in and out of Port Fourchon.
- Reduce highway maintenance along the LA 1 Corridor.
- Secure efficient access for significant coastal restoration projects.